FB-TW

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Heart-protective properties in red wine

If you have scanned this blog you have likely noticed that I primarily deal with issues of the heart and cancer since they are topics of concern to me for very personal reasons. I subscribe to a newsletter Heart, Health & Nutrition A Cardiologist's Guide to Total Wellness . The latest newsletter by Dr. Stephen Sinatra is titled "The Scary Truth About Alcohol and Breast Cancer". He does mention in the article the supposed heart protective properties of red wine which I alluded to in this blog entry's title, but with this statement... "Dr. Sinatra never endorsed daily wine consumption for heart disease prevention…and thank goodness he didn’t! After doing a bit of research, I discovered that the French have the highest rate of cirrhosis of the liver in the world! That’s not a safe trade off. "

The article mainly deals with the results from an ongoing “Million Women Study” in the UK released this past winter and concluded this:

"The bottom line…Women who drank as little as one alcoholic beverage a day significantly increased their cancer risk"

If you are interested in more details I suggest you read the complete article written by Jan Sinatra, Cardiac Care Nurse, and Dr. Stephen Sinatra’s wife here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate appropriate comments but reserve the right to publish those with credible, verifiable, significant information to contribute to the topic at hand. I will not post comments with commercial content nor those containing personal attacks. Thank You.